Varekai is Romany for “wherever,” paying homage to universal wanderers and to the nomadic soul.
The Business Consortium for Arts Support, aka, BCAS, is one of the unsung heroes of the Hampton Roads arts community.
“Oh, it’s a contemporary setting,” said the woman in front of me, who claimed formation at a conservatory in her earlier days. She sounded disappointed, so I shared with her my own disappointment, “And it’s in English, too.”
This Valentine’s Day emerging artists the Dwell Collective will take part in a weekend of events at Taphouse and Conch & Bucket.
The Zigzag Kid is an effortlessly stylish Dutch film about a young boy’s journey to find the truth about his mother on the eve of his Bar Mitzvah.
As an HIV/AIDS pandemic ravages lives in South Africa, a group of women - now tasked with becoming parents to their orphaned grandchildren - has organized to hold their communities together in the face of an enormous care deficit. Their stories will be told in their own words in October, when five South African visitors bring "The Nevergiveups" photo exhibition and book launch to Old Dominion University.
This week I gave my students their first quiz.
- Call to Artists: InLight Richmond 2013
- Q&A with Swingtime Salute's Lianne Marie Dobbs
- My Top Pick for What to Do this Stormy Weekend: See Avenue Q While You Can
- Virginia MOCA Unveils a Stellar Quintet of Exhibitions
- Kid Contest: VSO's The Magical Music of Disney
- “Dude, that Stravinsky was Dope!”
- Must-See Art Show of the Season
- Preview: Hot Sardines at Williamsburg Lodge
- Review: Cuff Me! The Fifty Shades of Grey Musical Parody
- Cat-free Craft Zone Coming Soon